I didn’t have the gumption to post on a daily basis during the 2010 Winter Olympics, but I did watch a lot of them. As I get older I find that I enjoy the Olympics more and more, although I think I prefer the Summer games more. So here’s some random observations on the 17-day spectacle that was the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics…
• First off, I know I’m not the only one who thought NBC’s coverage sucked hard. I don’t even care about the tape delays so much (since I’m not around to watch during the day anyway), but there was so much else to hate. Look, I get that television networks are businesses, and the primary goal of a business is to make money. But really, could NBC have been any more clumsy about the unending barrage of commercials? After awhile it felt like I was watching one long infomercial for Visa, Verizon, AT&T, Diet Coke, Lexus, and McDonald’s among others. (It’s the Visa show, brought to you with limited Olympic interruption!)
• I totally missed the opening ceremonies, but from the online commentary I saw I don’t think I missed much. Slam poetry, for real?
• Every time I saw the Olympic logo I kept thinking of the cover for Rush’s Test for Echo album.
• Speaking of Rush – how the hell do you have a closing ceremony that celebrates the essence of Canada and not include Rush? Avril Lavigne? Nickleback? WTF???
• Say Apolo Ohno again. I dare you, I double dare you mother*^@%&@%!
• I’m not ashamed to say I watched more curling than any other event. I do feel kind of bad for all the crap John Shuster took for leading the U.S. team’s march of futility, but it was damn frustrating to witness.
• To watch the commercials and little human interest stories that dominated NBC’s coverage, you wouldn’t think any of the athletes had fathers.
• I’m not going to bellyache about the U.S. men’s hockey team falling short in the gold medal game – considering they weren’t even expected to medal at all – but it would’ve been sweet to win the whole thing.
• Great job by Steve Holcomb’s gold-medal bobsleigh team, but if I never have to see his ass jiggle in that skin-tight suit again it’ll be too soon.
• Dear Julia Mancuso – STFU and stop whining. Joannie Rochette cried less than you, and that poor girl just lost her mother.
• It’s cool and all that Shaun White dominated the Halfpipe, but I can’t get into it. It’s the equivalent of the slam dunk competition at the NBA All-Star game.
• Best line of the entire Games goes to Bob Costas just prior to the closing ceremonies, praising Canada for their “innovations in science and whatnot”.
• I seem to remember coverage of the Beijing games being spread out over a lot more networks (with a much greater variety of events), but maybe I’m imagining things.
• Ballet, classical choirs, and giant glowing hamster balls. Holy crap, Sochi means business.
People found this post by searching for:
- "winter olympics logo"