Now that the holiday season is behind us and with it, thank God, those headache-inducing Hyundai hipsters, it’s time to focus on an even more insidious automotive ad campaign. You know what I’m talking about – the Toyota Highlander commercials featuring that obnoxious little punk.
At least the hipsters were trying to convey a sense of fun and whimsy. Can anyone explain what the redeeming qualities of these ads are? I can tell you what I see in these spots:
- Smart-mouthed little brat? Check.
- Future status-seeking jerkoff? Check.
- The most rage-inducing child I’ve seen on my TV since Danny Cooksey? Check.
- Little turd who doesn’t get the irony of calling his parents lame while wearing skinny jeans? Check.
- Ungrateful twerp who should be thankful his folks don’t smack that smirk and poodle haircut right off of him? Check*
- Future hipster who uses terms like ‘je ne sais quoi’? Check.
I know I’m not the first person on the hate train with the ads, as they’ve been out for a few months. But unlike the hipsters, they’re still around as a near daily reminder of why I sometimes hate our consumer culture. And of how I hope my son does not turn out to be.
Incidentally, and for those wondering, the actor playing this pint-sized Mephistopheles has a name: Riley Thomas Stewart.
And because I’m in a charitable mood, here’s some more of these abominations!
*The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit neither condones nor promotes violence against children. Except maybe this one.
People found this post by searching for:
- "i hate the toyota highlander kid", "toyota kid", "i hate the highlander kid", "highlander kid", "Riley Stewart toyota", "toyota highlander kid"