Inspired by Jess’s brave admission that he hasn’t seen some of the most popular movies ever, I feel the need to come clean myself. But for me, it’s all about the music. Despite owning hundreds of CDs and having thousands of songs in iTunes, I know there are some pretty big holes in my collection. When it comes down to it there’s just not enough time to listen to all the bands I’d like to, so some tough choices must be made.
- David Bowie – I know some of his biggest hits (“Space Oddity,” “Changes,” “Let’s Dance”) and like them all. Still, I never really bothered to dig into his catalog any deeper. I downloaded a 2-disc greatest hits set today and am checking it out, however.
- U2 – I remember really liking the video for “Sunday Bloody Sunday,” which MTV aired about every 20 minutes back in the day. I might’ve gotten into them at one point but was totally turned off by all the hype they got for The Joshua Tree, especially since I was deep into my metal phase. To this day I have never listened to an entire U2 album all the way through.
- Prince – I can’t say I’ve ever heard a Prince song I didn’t think was at least decent (not that I know a ton). Hell, I love “Batdance.” Yet I never made the leap to aspiring fan.
- Creed – Just making sure you’re paying attention.
- The Rolling Stones – A total of 6 Stones tracks (“Paint It Black”, “Sympathy for the Devil”, “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction”, “Get Off of My Cloud”, “2000 Man”, and “Start Me Up”) have found their way to my iPod. But as much as I really like those songs, I never got inspired enough to really listen to Mick, Keef, and friends any further.
- John Coltrane – I would love to be able to say I’m one of the many jazz fans who “gets” Coltrane, but I just don’t. It’s not that I don’t hear the talent – his work as a member of Miles Davis’s band is top-notch. But I’ve tried to absorb his work as a leader, and it just doesn’t move me.
- Bruce Springsteen – I know this will get me kicked out of New Jersey, but the only song that does anything for me is “Born to Run.” I’m sure there’s lots of other good stuff out there, but I can’t be bothered to look.
There are many others, but these are the major ones I can think of.